Thursday, May 30, 2013

Eating Organic

So the latest in our household has been becoming more green and organic. I will admit I have suddenly adopted a fear thag im going to get cancer. Watching my dad die was somewhat traumatizing,and  i feel like its my life goal to do everything I can to avoid ever getting cancer. 
But nothing has inspired me to live a more healthy life than my child. It's like suddenly, when we started introducing foods to Harlow at 7 months, I refused to give her anything not organic or healthy. It freaked me out at the thought of putting anything bad into her little body. 
It caused me to take a look at my own lifestyle and eating habits and it's like suddenly it hit me, I needed to do better! I was diagnosed with GERD (really bad reflux because of a broken sphincter), and I honestly had never really taken care of it. Harlow was diagnosed with the same thing and I've watched myself monitor everything she eats, but I didn't think twice about myself. 
Growing up, I really had a horrible diet. As a kid, frozen TV dinners, frozen pizzas, lunchables, bologna sandwhiches, fish sticks and hot dogs were the norm. I just recently realized this and realize that this is why I have such an unhealthy relationship with food. I have tried on a few occasions to 
'eat healthier' but it only lasted so long because I would get lost on really what was healthy food? I had no clue. 
I have learned so much since Harlow was born and now I can proudly say I am an organic eating advocate. I never understood why certain things were 'bad'. I just knew 'that's not good'... But because I didn't know WHY, it rarely kept me from eating whatever it was. Or I would have the mentality that I can indulge just this once and I'll eat better the rest of the day... Like it didnt matter. The truth is, all of the 'just this once's, add up, and are blocks piling up in our body. Now, I finally understand the WHY. And that has contributed tremendously to my whole new philosophy and lifestyle when it comes to eating. 
It is so important to eat organic and avoid pesticides at all costs! An organic apple a day will keep the doctor away, but a conventionally grown one won't. Pesticides are poisons... And we're putting them in our body each time we eat a conventionally grown fruit or vegetable. Sure we don't feel sick after eating one... But these things build up in our system over time, and wreck havoc later in the form of poor health, diseases and cancers. I feel sick at the thought of eating conventionally grown produce from the supermarket. Why are these foods being fed to society? There's no doubt that people go to the store and eat their fruits and veggies thinking they're being healthy, when really they would be better off not eating the poison at all!
Conventional milk contains a ridiculous amount of hormones and antibiotics which alters our entire system. Anything those cows are fed or administered, is being directly administered to us. The same goes with meat! Eat organic, grass fed meat that is free of hormones and antibiotics. Along with organic, cage free eggs. 
Look at the ingredients on items instead of the nutrition facts. We all know the things that have an ingredients list as long as the package... Thats the easiest way to put an item back without even reading them... the fewer ingredients, the better! 
Cancer feeds off of sugar and it comes in many forms such as: sugar, high fructose corn syrup, aspartame (which is a neurotoxin that causes brain tumors) to name a few. It's in the ingredients of nearly every processed food item. It's best to eat foods that contain sugar naturally... Like organic fruit.
GMO's are especially scary- genetically modified foods, where genes are taken from one species and put into an entirely different plant or animal, changing its DNA. How unatural is that? It's like one big science experiment that's being doled out to the public. If fish genes were meant to be in tomatoes, it would be that way! Every lab test done on animals, has shown "organ failure, infertility, accelerated aging, immune dysregulation, faulty insulin regulation, and changes in the liver, kidney, spleen, and Gi systems." I most certainly don't want all those changes happening in my body! It's a slow and silent killer. 80% of all corn and soy products in the United States ARE modified. If you look at the ingredients of almost all processed foods, it contains some form of corn or soy... Which means many of us are eating these things at some point on a daily basis. That is scary! 
Being a mom and wife has made me realize how important it is to treat our bodies kindly. This is our vessel for our entire life here on earth, and I want to be around for my kids for a very long time. What we put in our bodies now, reflect in our health later. Eat food that nourishes and sustains your body, instead of poisoning it! 










1 comment:

  1. reading the labels is THE most important thing. There are a lot of "organic" foods that still aren't good for you. Proud of you for changing your lifestyle lovey, good for you. you're going to feel SO much better!

    ReplyDelete