Sunday, May 26, 2013

Cells Living On

I came across this article and was so touched by how deeply connected mothers are to their babies. Scientific evidence shows that cells from other people (our children) are found all throughout out body, embedded in our tissues along with our own cells, primarily in the brain.
As a mother, it is so touching to think about how we continue to carry the cells of our children. However it is even more beautiful and meaningful to me to think thy I am still carrying pieces of Lyla with me. Her cells are still alive and living in my body. That brings me such comfort. 
What is even more mind blowing, is this particular sentence: "...there is also the possibility that cells from an older sibling residing in the mother may find their way back across the placenta to a younger sibling during the latter's gestation." The idea that not only I carry Lyla with me, but that her cells are still living on in Harlow, is so precious to me and brings me to tears. What a special gift! 

1 comment:

  1. Wow Laura! Thank you so much for posting this. I love the idea when we finally have a successful pregnancy that our previous babies will be with our other children! Love it!

    Shanna

    ReplyDelete