Friday, May 24, 2013

Words From My Dad

This past week, I decided to finally go through all the cards I had stacked in boxes. I love cards. For any holiday, nothing beats a good card from a loved one who wrote some sweet words to you. Typically, I save any card that's written in, but usually throw away the cards where someone just signs their name. What makes the card's words ring  true are, are the personal words from the sender. 
I was running out of room and decided to do a little card cleanup! While I was going through the cards, I came across a few from my parents from birthday's past. I feel like what's typical, is that the wife fills out the card 'for' the husband. Or the wife fills out the card, and signs all the family's names. What I love about my birthday cards, is that my mom would always write a personal message, AND my dad would as well. These are the things I cherish, especially now that my dad is gone. 
There I was, sitting on the kitchen floor with cards all around (Harlow finding the ones with animals on them and holding tight), and I couldn't help but shed some tears. I know how my dad felt about me... He told me ALL the time. 
He was never one to shy away from his emotions of love relating to his daughters. It seemed like anything we did made him proud and he would show us off to all of his friends. (Yes this included the man behind the counter at the deli, and people at the local garden store). It seemed like whenever me or my sister would come into town to visit, we would meet one of our dads new 'friends' and they would have already heard all about us...(yes this includes the waiter at the newest restauraunt in town). Even now, as my dad has been gone over a year, his name is still talked about. He was unforgettable and still is! 
I re-read his words to me and it makes me so frustrated and sad that he had to die. It just doesn't feel like it was his time. He truely loved life and soaked in every memory and moment. There are still so many moments he would be so proud to experience and be apart of. 
My mom called the other day and told me that when she was going through my dads things, she came across 2 identical cards in his stuff. Both were cards for a daughter but weren't written in. My dad had obviously seen these cards and thought of his girls, so he bought one for me and one for my sister, but never had the chance to fill them out. My mom mailed me mine and I received it just the other day. I had butterfly's in my stomach and it took me a couple hours before I decided to go outside and read it. It said this:
"Having you for a daughter, has brought me more joyful times and proud moments, than you'll ever know...
I've been dreaming about your future since the day you were born, hoping that life, would always bring you all the happiness you deserve.
And even though I worry about you at times, I have confidence in you. 
I know you can handle whatever challenges come your way. 
Just remember you can always turn to me for help and encouragement...
Other things may change, but my love for you is for always. "
I can't even begin to count how many times, I have had a bad day, or felt stressed out or hopeless, and have wanted to call my dad. He really was my biggest cheerleader and whenever I got off the phone with him, I would immediately feel all better. By the end of the conversation and pep talk, I would usually also be sent to 'get a mani pedi and an ice cream cone immediately.' :)
I wish he was here now to continue to guide me and help me. Sometimes I feel so lost without him :( He was truely one of a kind and a man to be cherished.







No comments:

Post a Comment