Thursday, August 1, 2013

Hawkins' 2nd Weekly Appointment

Today was our 2nd weekly appointment since getting Hawkins' IUGR diagnosis. Last appointment we didn't get any measurements and I was all over the place with my emotions for some reason. Emotionally, this appointment went 10x better than the last. I saw my regular doctor thank goodness, and she always puts all my fears at ease. 
The ultrasound today was to get some more measurements, check the blood flow through the umbilical cord, check on his movement and do the biophysical profile. His head and legs are measuring 2 weeks behind (previously they were measuring just 1 week behind). And his abdomen is measuring 4 weeks behind (previously that was measuring 5 weeks behind). His weight estimate is 3lb7oz, and he went from being in the 6% to the <5%. So it's a little confusing- he has grown since 2 weeks prior (yay!), but also dropped below the 5th percentile. 
His movement was great on the ultrasound, but he failed his BPP test and wasn't practicing his breathing. We waited for 30 minutes for him to take a breath but he never did. Because of that, we got a non-stress test, which turned out great and he had some good heart accelerations. So all in all, it was a good appointment. We got no new news, he has grown since 2 weeks ago, and still seems pretty happy in there. 
However, because of his stats and dropping below the 5th percentile, my doctor has now ordered me to get BPP's twice a week. So I will be going every Tuesday and Thursday for an ultrasound/BPP. I believe they won't take measurements again for possibly 3 weeks. Which puts me at 36 weeks! 
I have felt a little out of the loop or confused about everything. It seemed like 2 weeks ago, things were moving fast- we got the IUGR diagnosis, he failed his BPP, I got 2 steroid shots for his lungs and was under the impression I would be delivering him within the next couple weeks. I had a week of frantically trying to prepare the house and gather some of the essentials we may need right away. I did so much research and was mentally preparing myself to have my sweet boy so soon. Much of this contributed to my emotional panic attack on the way to and during my last appointment. I was also under the impression that even if he stayed behind around the same amount, I would probably deliver him early so he could grow and thrive outside the womb. After all, I thought that's why they gave me the steroid shots. However, ever since then I feel like we've been on cruise control. 
So I brought it up to my favorite nurse during the NST we did today. I asked her why it seemed like this hurried frenzy 2 weeks ago, and now it seemed like we were coasting. She said that it would be like this all the way until the end of my pregnancy. She said ultimately, the best place for him to be, is still inside, even if his growth is restricted and slow. If he continues to grow, even a little bit, we will continue the pregnancy, regardless of him being in the <5th%. The remainder of the pregnancy will be watchful waiting. He will be monitored really well, with 2 BPP's a week. As long as he's passing those, has a decent amount of amniotic fluid and generally seems happy, we will just go with the flow until the due date nears. 
We will deliver early: if something dramatic happens with his growth that is cause for alarm, the flow through the cord decreases or flows back out (which can be dangerous), or if he continues to fail his BPP's and shows signs of distress. 
So prayers for us that Hawke will continue to grow (even if its just a little bit and he remains behind), and that he continues to feel happy and comfy while passing his BPP's! 

No comments:

Post a Comment