Saturday, April 20, 2013

Harlow's 1st Birthday Party!

I was going to wait until I had more pictures until I posted about her party, but decided to post anyway.
My mom came into town the day before Harlow's Birthday party and she was so excited to walk in to say good morning to her grandma :)
Harlow has typically been slow to warm up to people, ever since she was a couple months old. But when she likes someone she lets them know. My mom has always been worried that since we live so far away, that my kids wouldn't really know her. But she doesn't have to worry about that, because Harlow has warmed up to my mom the quickest out of anyone. She came out for Christmas and Harlow was happy to let my mom hold her and play with her. I was surprised because it took a long time and she's still working on feeling comfortable with certain people here that she sees every week!
This time, it was the same- She was all smiles and reaching for my mom when we said good morning. Maybe she can sense some California-ness and it makes her feel immediately comfortable ;)
I had so much to do for her party and knew I was pressed for time. Thankfully my mom and Adam helped out so things could get done. There were still a few food things that needed to be prepared by the time guests started arriving, so my friend Jennifer and her mom were a huge help getting some last minute things ready in the kitchen.
As I was rushing around getting everything ready, I called about the cake, to make sure it was going to be on its way. After all, this cake was the centerpiece of the party... The first thing I ordered, a month in advance, and the center of her whole candy-themed party. I was so excited about it and could not wait to see it! Adam can tell you, I had been talking about this cake for months.
When I called around 10am they assured me it would be there before the start of the party at 12noon. Well... Noon rolled around and guests began to arrive... Still no cake. Finally I got a call from them, and I answered the phone assuming he was on his way and needing help with directions. Unfortunately, that wasn't what the call was about. He said,"we have your cake, but we ran into a problem with it. I'm still going to deliver it to you, but it's not what you ordered and we'll be giving you a refund."
I about died. I couldn't believe it and i couldn't wait to see what they were bringing me. To already tell me I was getting a refund... i knew it had to be bad. Finally, the 'cake' arrived half way through the party and made its grand entrance in front of everyone. It was awful. I don't understand how a cake can even turn out like it did. Literally everything was wrong and it just looked awful. It was suppose to be 4 tiers, white and smooth, with rock candy pressed up the sides, each tier a different color. What came, had a bottom tier purple(?!?!?!), the rest was white and lopsided with some frosting around each tiers bottom edge. And that's it. They assured me the cake was still good and right, it was just aesthetically all wrong. Cake time came and I cut into each tier which was suppose to be different flavors. And even that was all wrong. We also didn't receive Harlow's gluten free smash cake, so I had to cut a large slice and stick a candle on top of it. So incredibly sad!!!
She did have fun however when people sang happy birthday and she opened her presents :) I can't believe my little newborn is 1 whole year old!



































































1 comment:

  1. so sweet! despite the cake, you can tell it was a perfect party for H and that she had so much fun!!! :)

    ReplyDelete