Friday, March 9, 2012

A Letter to my Dad

At my dad's service, I shared a letter I wrote to him:

Daddy-

Words cannot describe what an impact you’ve had on my life. You have been my biggest cheerleader and always made me feel so beautiful and special. You’re the only one who appreciates all the effort it takes to get ready. When I was 8 and had my first dance, I wore that red dress to my cheerleading’s homecoming  and when I came out, you started singing, “Lady in Red” and made me feel so stunning… even as an 8 year old. This special moment, was just the beginning of years of making me feel beautiful. Whether I was getting ready for school, a date or proms, you always had me stop, took both my hands in yours, twirl around, kiss me on both cheeks, and then send me on my way. I can’t even count how many times you did this and then yelled for mom to get the camera. You wanted her to take a picture of us. That reaction and routine I cherish. I was always able to feel how much you loved, admired and adored me.

You have so many people who love you. Throughout the years, many people would say “I wish he was my dad.” And I always felt so lucky because you were my dad.  There’s a reason why you have so many friends and so many people love you. You are such a strong, brave person and I admire you so much. A lot of you is in me and I take pride in those characteristics. I know how proud you are of me and I want you to know how proud I am of you. You have overcome so much in life and have always had your eye on the prize and accomplished every goal you set for yourself. You are an amazing father and I want you to know how loved you are by so many people.

You always make everything so fun. I can remember, in detail, every single family vacation we ever took, because something funny always happened and it always revolved around you. Whenever we would fly anywhere, you always got so excited to order a “Cran-Apple” on the plane. You never drank Cran-Apple anywhere else but on the airplane and you would be so excited about it. On my flight out here you’ll be proud to know I ordered a Cran-Apple just for you.

You are truly a ‘girls-dad’. You always wanted to take part in our lives and always wanted to be around for any event, even an all-girls birthday party, bridal shower or baby shower. I love that you gladly came with me to help pick out my wedding dress and me and Michelle will always cherish our father-daughter pedicure time at the nail salon J Just this past Christmas, you were so excited for us to go on the Napa Valley Wine Train and when I asked what to pack to wear, you said, “Ya know… something vogue”. I have such a special dad and am so thankful that me and Michelle got to have such an involved, adoring dad of daughters.

One of the last moments we had together when you were still feeling okay, was you putting your hand on my belly while talking to Harlow. She loved your voice because she would always move so much. You’re face just lit up whenever she would give you a good kick. It truly breaks my heart to think that Harlow won’t be able to experience you, her Papi Rocco, the way I got to. I feel like she’s missing out on so much by not knowing you. One thing that does bring me comfort is the fact that even though my daughter Harlow doesn’t get to know you right now, my daughter Lyla does. I know she was already there waiting for you when you arrived- ready to jump in your arms when you clapped your hands and called for her.  I know you’re loving on her and making her laugh. When I finally get to be with you again, I can picture you boasting all about Lyla and how wonderful she is, just like you always used to talk about me. For that, I am so thankful.        
                                                                       
Love, Laura


5 comments:

  1. oh Lovey! This is such an amazing letter to your daddy! I can just picture him doing everything you described in the letter. Your dad was so very special he will definitely hold a special place in my heart. Truly an amazing person just like you lovey and you definitely have a lot of him in you and that's just part of what makes you so special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, what a wonderful letter to a wonderful dad!! Your dad was truly a very special man and an amazing dad. Hold onto the many, fabulous memories, someday we'll all be together again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done sissy! You are so amazing at everything you do, and this was a great time for you share not only your heart, but what a great writer you are. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So presiouc Laura!!! Reading your post made me feel like I knew your dad! He sounded amazing and I know he is missed every second of every day by your family. God knew Lyla needed someone there with her and He knew your dad would be the perfect person!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura,
    I admire your openness on this subject. You are an admirable woman and I love reading your blogs. I know there are no words that will make you feel better, but I want you to know that I'm thinking about you and praying for you. Just continue to reflect on the awesome times you had with your dad. He sounds like an amazing man and any girl would be lucky to call him dad! He is in a far better place now, watching over you and your family.
    xoxo,
    Shayla

    ReplyDelete