Friday, March 9, 2012

Another Hospital Trip

Luckily, my dad had snapped out of his depression and was so happy to see me and my sister when we came back just a few weeks later for my Baby Shower. He was so happy to have us home. The morning of my baby shower, my dad had a fun time talking to Harlow and saying "Harlowww, it's your Papi Roccccooo!" and feeling her jump all around in my belly :) His face just lit up.
I finished getting ready and by the time I was done, guests were arriving. Shortly after I asked about my dad and  heard that he was having an awful headache and couldn't get out of bed. I was looking forward to my dad wheeling out to the living room to say hi to everyone, and get some food that we had catered and watch me open presents. After all, my dad loved things like showers, even if it was all girls there. But my shower came and went and my dad stayed holed up in the trophy room, unable to get out of bed. Afterwards we checked on him and we had deja vu to how he was the very first day we came home before Thanksgiving.
The following day... Super Bowl Sunday, he was the same. We were hoping he'd be feeling better. There had been a couple days where my dad had had a headache, and it was just that, a headache and it went away. So when it didn't go away on Sunday, we knew he had to go to the Doctor again. In true Covalt fashion, the same time the ambulance was getting to our house to take my dad to the hospital, me and my sister were leaving to take my niece Emily to the airport. Michelle and Emily had a flight scheduled to leave that afternoon and because of everything, my sister had cancelled her flight and was staying to see how everything was with dad, but Emily still had to get back down to San Diego so she could go to school Monday. Michelle, called her husband Rex's mom who lives in Sacramento, to meet us at the Oakland airport to fly back down with Emily, and then stay with the kids the rest of the week. All of this was done literally at the last minute. Thankfully it all worked out!
By the time me and my sister made it to the hospital, my dad had already had another MRI and the results had already come in. My dad had bleeding in the brain and severe swelling, despite his usual dosage of decadron. Because of the bleeding, pressure was being put on his brain and moving part of it past the middle barrier. If it continued to cross that barrier, 'it could be dangerous' the Doctor told us. He was moved to the ICU and we all cried together. There was nothing they could do. They said surgery was not an option and they just had to try to control the bleeding as best they could. There was no other option. My dad had a moment of asking if this was the end. We all cried and he was just so calm and serene. Saying he was okay and ready if this was the end. And that he was only as strong as he was because of the 3 of us. We all just couldn't believe it. It just seemed like things kept getting worse and we didn't want my dad to be in anymore pain.
We asked who won the SuperBowl because none of us got to watch a single second of it because of everything. Unfortunately the Giants won and me and my dad were disappointed. I was excited to be home SuperBowl Sunday because that day was very special between me and my dad. We always looked forward to it and made BBQ Keilbasa and just always enjoyed it. I hadn't been home for a SuperBowl in about 4 or 5 years so I couldn't wait to spend what was expected to be my dad's last SuperBowl, with him. I am thankful I was with him for it, even if it was spent going to the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment